Pages

Friday 9 October 2009

A boost to my flagging morale!

Having collected the latest issue of THE NUGGET from the printers on my way to work today, I decided to make a short detour to buy the postage stamps I needed from the local post office. This was a big mistake!

Not feeling very well, the sight of the very long queue of people waiting to be served made me feel decidedly worse, so I sent off for the local branch of WHSmith where I knew that I could buy all the stamps that I needed … but with a somewhat shorter wait!

Standing in the inevitable queue waiting to be served (queuing is bad at the best of times but when you have a heavy cold, every minute standing there seems like an hour) I happened to glance over at the magazine rack … and saw the October issue of WARGAMES, SOLDIERS & STRATEGY on sale. Furthermore, it is a special issue about the Spanish Civil War, which is one of my favourite periods of military history.

My morale soared … and the queue suddenly did not seem to be so long.

Of course, dear reader, I bought it (and the postage stamps) … and I will write a short review of this latest issue of WARGAMES, SOLDIERS & STRATEGY as soon as I feel well enough to do so.

4 comments:

  1. It is called "serendipity" . . . one of those nice "happy accidents" that continue to delight us.

    I hope that you roll great dice against the cold and drub it into submission.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff,

    I am slowly ... and a bit unsurely ... getting better. The situation is not helped by having to go to work, but the mental effort to get up and go is good for the soul (and the pocket!).

    Seeing the magazine yesterday was a real boost to my morale because it was so unexpected. Like you say, it was very serendipitous seeing it when I did. I would have seen it sooner or later, but yesterday was the best time to do so.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fixed Bayonet Metal Soldiers,

    As you will see from my more recent blog entry my answer would be 'Yes' if you want a good background history of the SCW.

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. Thanks for the encouraging comment; it all helps to make writing my blog feel worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.