Pages

Friday 29 January 2010

Wild colonial terrain

Jim Wright sent me an email about creating terrain that gave lots of cover for colonial battles without costing the earth.

His suggestion is based on the sort of hills and mountains that are featured on Major General Tremorden Rederring's Colonial Wargames Page. I know that these work as I have made and used my own versions from thin plywood and balsa wood (see below).

Jim's idea is to make smaller versions to represent small hills or outcrops.

He sent me a sketch to illustrate his suggestion, and I must admit that on seeing it I immediately saw the potential of his idea.

I have all the necessary materials to hand to make a couple so that I can try them out. All I need is the time to make them!

3 comments:

  1. Let me make a suggestion . . . when you cut your cardboard, cut two "identical pieces . . . then put one on each side of the brace.

    That way you can put them anywhere on the table and they can shoot both ways.

    And thank you for sharing the idea. I've made the "mountains" for the table edges (they work great too -- and provide good visual backstops for photos as well) . . . but I had not considered these little cousins of the big mountains.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bluebeard Jeff,

    Your suggestion makes a lot of sense if you want to put figures onto rather than behind the hill.

    Thank you for sharing it with the rest of us.

    Developments are rarely one person's idea; they are the synthesis of many people's ideas.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob,

    Well, not only if you want to put people into it (as I would), but for the aesthetics of it . . . the "back side" wouldn't look like some sort of "prepared position".


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.