Pages

Thursday 29 September 2011

Another quiet day at home

After a rather hectic day yesterday, today has been another quiet one ... which is probably just as well as I have been suffering from a rather bad stomach upset. This was probably due to my gastronomic over-indulgence last night. French Onion Soup, followed by Boeuf Bourguignon and mashed potatoes, topped off with a Crème Brûlée… rather too rich a combination for my stomach, I suspect.

I have spent most of the day doing household chores, interspersed with continuing work on both my imagi-world map and the additional hills to go with my ‘new’ terrain boards. I did take a break this afternoon when I discovered that Channel Four was showing RIO GRANDE, which is the last of John Ford’s ‘Cavalry Trilogy (the other two being FORT APACHE and SHE WORE AS YELLOW RIBBON. Although I think that John Ford’s THE HORSE SOLDIERS is a better film, this does not detract one iota from the enjoyment I always get from watching any one of the ‘Cavalry Trilogy’ films.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Great films, every one. Good material for a PW mini campaign as well!

    Hope your digestion recovers!

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. David Crook,

    I must admit that I had not thought of the films as the basis for a short PW2 campaign. That's a great idea!

    As to my stomach ... well it is my own fault. Having had stomach ulcers for the last thirty years I should have known better ... but sometimes the food looks so enticing I cannot resist it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bob,

    Sorry to hear about the ongoing ulcer situation!

    This might be a good place to start for a Cavalry vs Native American PW mini campaign:

    http://www.clarebooks.co.uk/bluecoats-redskins-robert-utley-hardback-book-p-2267.html?osCsid=2tl6dnecm3gbaaiihjpb2i6ms1

    It is an excellent read.

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  4. My three year old is developing a taste for John Wayne films! I shall be selectively introducing him to some. Horse Soldiers is one of my faves. Not the most in depth of plots and characters but good solid action. Will happily watch it again and again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. David Crook,

    The ulcers are just something I have to live with. I have had treatment in the past that 'heals' them ... but certain substances irritate them and then they start to act up.

    Thanks for the heads up regarding the book. It may well get added to the list of books I want to buy over the next few months.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy McMaster,

    You must be doing something right if your son has already developed such good taste!

    John Ford can always be relied upon to provide lots of action ... but not a lot of character development (with some notable exceptions).

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.