Pages

Monday 3 October 2011

A busy day ahead

Unlike the previous few days, today is going to be quite a busy one. This afternoon I have a meeting in Central London, after which there is a champagne reception (life is hard when you are retired!) and a formal dinner (I said that life was hard, didn't I!).

Before I go I have quite a few things that need to be done. Firstly I need to sort out my company's payroll as payday is the 5th of the month. This involves checking that the payroll details on the printout from the accountants is correct and then preparing the salary payments to the sole employee – currently my wife – and interim dividend payments to the two shareholders – my wife and I. I then have to ensure that the relevant forms are completed and sent – with a cheque – to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs to pay for the employee's Income Tax and the employee's and employer's National Insurance contributions.

I also have to pay a visit to Barclays Bank to pay some money in and to try to get an appointment to organise a short-term loan to cover the cost of buying my father-in-law his new flat whilst we sell his bungalow. If past experience is anything to go by, this is going to be a long, drawn-out, and ultimately fruitless experience. (‘You may be selling a bungalow with two bedrooms and off-street parking that is worth more than twice the price of the single bedroom flat you are buying … but it is not the bank’s policy to make loans of this sort. We can, however, arrange a mortgage for you that you can pay off over ten years.)

I am also going to try to get the latest issue of THE NUGGET ready to take to the printers. The draft was sent to me by the editor last night, and all I have to do is the check it over, print off the original, and take it to the printer for printing … which would normally be quite an easy job if I wasn’t trying to do the other things as well!

I was also hoping to finish off the latest batch of hills I am making to go with my ‘new’ terrain boards. I had hoped to finish them yesterday, but the good weather (and the fact that my toy/wargames room was as hot as an oven until late last night) made me disinclined to do so.

Hey ho! Halcyon days!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.