Pages

Tuesday 7 February 2012

Innovations in Wargaming Vol. 1: Developments in professional and hobby wargames

One of the things that awaited me on my return home was a package from John Curry that contained a proof copy of the latest addition to his History of Wargaming Project, INNOVATIONS IN WARGAMING VOL. 1: DEVELOPMENTS IN PROFESSIONAL AND HOBBY WARGAMES (ISBN 978 1 4710 4127 3).


The book contains the following:
  • Foreword
  • Chapter 1: Designing Wargames Rules
  • Chapter 2: The Hunt for WMD: A Committee Game
  • Chapter 3: Kriegsspiel
  • Chapter 4: A Naval Kriegsspiel by Paddy Griffith
  • Chapter 5: Tactical Exercises Without Troops
  • Chapter 6: Space Invaders on the Rhine: A Hall Game
  • Chapter 7: Hijack! An anti-terrorism wargame
  • Chapter 8: Sen Toku, A World War 2 Japanese Imperial Naval Staff: a Black Game
  • Appendix: How to Design and Play Historical War Council Games by Paddy Griffith
  • Bibliography
I am not sure how soon John Curry will be publishing this book (or how much it will cost), but I think that it will be of interest to anyone who designs or aspires to design wargames … and this recommendation is not made on the basis that I wrote one of the chapters (Chapter 1, to be precise) but because it covers so many different design methods.

10 comments:

  1. It's available for ordering, so I assume it's ready to be shipped

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jur,

    That is good news! I wondered if it might not be available for a month or two, but hearing that it can be ordered now means that it should be available in the very near future.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the heads up- I'll get a copy ordered.

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peter,

    I hope that you enjoy reading it as much as I did.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked the Sprawling Wargames book (I love sprawling wargames, or megagames as they are otherwise known). I have have high hopes for this one as well.

    John mailed to say they will be posted on Friday or Saturday, depending on the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jur,

    I have taken part in quite a few Megagames in my time ... and I have enjoyed them although I would not want to take part in them all the time.

    I hope that you enjoy the book when it arrives.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Geordie an Exiled FoG,

    From what I can gather there are quite a few wargames books being published over the next few months ... so you might need a larger wallet!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  8. tandsio year,Received Innovations in Wargaming in the post to day, only to find that Bob has been a bit modest, since he's a contributor.

    I'd expect you get a free copy then ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jur,

    As I pointed out in my blog entry, I did get sent a proof copy (there were some minor corrections that were required) and I did write the opening chapter ... which is probably the least interesting bit of the book for most wargamers.

    The rest of the book was new to me ... and I did find it very interesting to read.

    I hope that you enjoy your copy as much as I enjoyed mine ... and you are right; the proof copy was free!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.