Pages

Friday 2 March 2012

Getting carried away

I am really enjoying building my latest warship model ... BUT as I have been building it I have realised that I am in great danger of getting carried away with trying to build models that are just too detailed.

My prototype 'Monopoly'-inspired model battleship was very 'generic' in outline, and its design could easily have been modified to represent most late ironclad/pre-dreadnought battleships.


Before starting my current building project I had begun work on a follow-up to my prototype 'Monopoly'-inspired model battleship ... and I had started to add a few more details as I went. These additions had increased the time it was taking to build the model, and I suppose that I had subconsciously already begun to realise that I was starting down a path that would lead to me ending up with fewer, more detailed model ships ... and that this was not part of my original plan.

In a recent email to me David Crook suggested that what was really needed was a set of pre-cut hulls and fittings (superstructure, funnels, turrets, and a mast or two) that could be quickly assembled and painted. He cited examples of just such kits for model liners that could be bought in shops such as Hobbycraft. This makes a lot of sense, and I understand that he knows of someone who could possibly produce such kits of parts relatively cheaply.

Yet more food for thought methinks!

PS. I bought a copy of MARINE MODELLING INTERNATIONAL magazine earlier this week, and managed to read it today.


One of the articles it contained was about building a 1:72nd-scale model of HMS Campbeltown at the time of the St Nazaire Raid. The builder – Don Lewis – made the hull of his model from balsa which he covered before painting with small pieces of brown wrapping paper and PVA. After painting he described it as being 'durable and ding proof.'

This sounds like an excellent idea ... and might mean that I could build any future warship models from cheaper – and easier to work – balsa rather than basswood.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Bob,

    Further to me email I shall be having a word with my joiner chap re the 'pre fab' warship idea but it also occurred to me that using laser cut MDF or ply for superstructures etc could also be an option. The trick would be make the building blocks of the ship as simple and uncomplicated as possible e.g. a winged bridge assembly, a turret, a superstructure or whatever.

    All you would need to do is to select the parts needed, stick them together and paint the result.

    Having said all that I have some very interesting news....;-)

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gentlemen I must protest that you are both being far too inspirational. I have a scroll saw for the smaller models and a template capable router for the larger hull forms sitting idle in my garage.....

    The gun punt for some reason reminds of this: TAP Vespa

    I might have to make something naval in this line for VSF games.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David Crook,

    A kit of basic bits (with a few minor variations so that different national styles can be accommodated) would be a very good idea. Personally I would prefer the hulls to be made from pine rather than MDF or plywood as I think that it 'takes' paint better.

    I look forward to hearing your 'interesting' news ...

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bob,

    The news is on an email!

    Pine would probably be cheaper as well. Do you have measurements of what you working to - vertical wise that is?

    I reckon that a generic type could be easy enough to put together and as you rightly point out, with some 'national characteristics' factored in (now there is an expression I have not seen for a number of years!).

    All the best,

    DC

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pat G,

    I would love to own a scroll saw and router but I currently do not have anywhere to store and/or use them. If you have them, then why not use them for your VSF project!

    All the best,

    Bob

    PS. I love the self-propelled recoil-less gun! I am surprised that I have not yet seen one as part of an AK47 army.

    ReplyDelete
  6. David Crook,

    I look forward to reading your email later this evening.

    I will give some thought to the measurements of the main bits that will be needed, and will let you know what I think they might be as soon as I can.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.