Pages

Thursday 15 March 2012

Possibilities?

I paid a visit to the local branch of Hobbycraft today to buy some more basswood and paint ... and also came away with something that may have possibilities. It is a wooden kit of the RMS Titanic.


The hull of the model is made of pine and is approximately 7.5"/19cm long and 1"/2.5cm wide. Whilst it is not perfect – and it is certainly in need of some sanding – the hull could possibly be used as the basis of a small wooden warship that I can use alongside my 'cartoon' battleships. I may well make this my next project, and if it is successful it might pave the way for me to speed up the process of building a 'fleet' of ships that I can use on the tabletop ... or floor!

10 comments:

  1. Bob

    I would also guess that you could reduce the superstructure, add a derrick and have a very nice merchantman.

    PD

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking some sort of cruiser.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter Douglas,

    I had not thought of that ... but you are absolutely right!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bluebear Jeff,

    It would certainly provide the basis for a light cruiser ... like the Emden, for example.

    Something for me to think about.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. or add a flat top ...WWI carrier...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don M,

    It might be a little too narrow to be the basis of even an early aircraft carrier ... but the possibility of building a carrier on one of my own hulls is something that I have thought about and NOT rejected!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. I noticed these kits last time I was in Hobbycraft but managed to resist! I'll be interested to see what you make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tim Gow,

    I am giving the matter some thought ... and you may well see the results in a couple of day's time.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Bob,

    That was the one I saw as well - like Tim I will be interested to see how you get on with it.

    All the best,

    DC

    PS Funny you mentioned about Emden at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. David Crook,

    If it proves to be useable I will certainly write a blog entry about it.

    The Emden was the smallest and least complex of the German cruisers, and was not much bigger than some of the larger destroyers. It therefore makes sense to consider it as a possible candidate for my next model.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.