Pages

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Back to square one

Whilst I was on my recent cruise I did some serious thinking about the improvements I wanted to incorporate into the latest incarnation of my MEMOIR OF MODERN BATTLE (MOMBAT) rules. I even word processed some detailed notes that outlined my thoughts and ideas with the intention of using them as a basis for the next draft of the rules.

Yesterday I sat down and re-read my notes ... and realised that I had laid the foundations for a far more complex set of rules than I originally intended to create, and that it had all the makings of developing into an unplayable monster.

I had a choice. To carry on regardless in the hope that I could 'tame' the monster ... or to leave things as they are and to start afresh. Experience told me that the first course would probably end up with me feeling frustrated and unfulfilled ... and with a monster that was smaller but still a monster.

I chose the second course of action ... and I will leave things as they are. I will not, however, give up on the idea of redrafting my MEMOIR OF MODERN BATTLE (MOMBAT) rules. Instead, that particular project will be held in abeyance for the time being.

6 comments:

  1. I suspect that most of us have bookshelves full of rule sets that are too detailed for us to enjoy playing them.

    You need not cover every possibility, Bob. Just get the basics done and don't clutter it up.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I can never play as many wargames as I like. Your rules let me get in the occasional games I do play. If you feel the need to improve them, why not just make an addenum to the rules for those who want more detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bluebear Jeff,

    Your comment about shelves full of unused wargames rules is very, very true!

    My problem was that I tried to simplify my existing rules and to include some additional weapons types ... and these two objectives proved mutually incompatible.

    I am going to leave things as they are for the moment, and I will possible 'revisit' the project in the not too distant future when I have had time to clear my thoughts.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jhnptrqn,

    I am pleased to hear that my small efforts have been of help to you ... and your suggestion that I keep to a basic set of rules that have an addendum for the 'extras' is a good one. Thanks for making it.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bob,

    Good decision.

    Remember these things:

    KISS.
    Stay on Target.
    Be true to yourself.
    Its only a game.

    And best of all,

    Life is Good!

    I would like to compliment you on your handling of your retirement. Its not as scary as everyone wants you to believe.

    Ever forward,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jim Wright,

    Wise words and good advice!

    I am thoroughly enjoying my retirement ... and just wish that there were more hours in the day to enjoy!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.