Pages

Tuesday 30 December 2014

Going Loco: Part 6: An armoured wagon

Now that I had an armoured locomotive, I needed an armoured wagon to go with it. Because of the raised section on its roof and because I had already used another example to form the basis of my earlier flatbed wagon model, I used one of the passenger carriages that came with the train set as the basis of this armoured wagon.


I removed the wheels (as usual they popped out quite easily) ...


... and I then used a razor saw to carefully remove the false wheels that were moulded onto the carriage's wheel flanges.


Using the moulded line just below the windows and the front of the raised section of the roof as a guide, I carefully sawed part of the top of the carriage away from bottom half.


I then removed the glazing bars from the remaining windows ...


.. which I then filled in from the inside with pieces of thin Plasticard.


I then glued two long pieces of plastic strip inside the top of the carriage to strengthen it and to provide something to glue the platform of the armoured wagon to.


Once the glue had cured, I glued two short pieces of plastic strip inside the front of the raised part of the carriage to strengthen it and to provide something to glue the new front of the cabin of the armoured wagon to.


Once the glue had cured, I carefully cut two pieces of Plasticard to the right size, and glued them in place so as to form the platform of the armoured wagon and the front of the wagon's cabin.


Once the glue had cured, all that remained to complete the model was to glue the wagons armoured skirts in place. These were also made from thin Plasticard.


At this point I had hoped to add a gun turret of some kind to the armoured wagon, but as I had nothing suitable to hand, this will have to wait until I can.

8 comments:

  1. Great conversion work Bob. I'm really enjoying seeing what you're doing with these toys and your thought processes behind your decisions. Very insightful. looking forward to seeing some paint on these guys at some point but thoroughly enjoying the WIP posts at the same time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blaxkleric,

    It is good to hear how much you are enjoying these blog entries. I am certainly enjoying doing the conversion work, and hope to do some more over the next week or two ... and then I will start painting them.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great work. I very much enjoy following your thoughts - most inspitrational.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pat G,

    I am very pleased that you have enjoyed this series of blog entries ... and just to warn you, there will be several more to come!

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff Bob
    Can't wait to see what e final train looks like.
    Cheers, PD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Peter Douglas,

    I hope that you won't be disappointed.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great stuff Bob, enjoyed following it all. Amazing that you can see the potential in the toys before you start the cutting....

    Cheers,

    Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pete,

    I have been designing and making things ever since I was given a Meccano set when I was very young. That - and a diet of cutaway drawings in the centre of the good old EAGLE comic - gave me the training to 'see' the potential of various components in kits etc.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.