Pages

Friday 15 July 2016

Quiz errata ... and an important piece of news about COW2017

As TamsinP pointed out in her comment yesterday, one of my answers was not 100% correct. (I blame post-COW fatigue for a basic mathematical error!)

The answer to Question 2 should read as follows:
Two, the VCs won by Private Robert Jones and Private John Williams. Of the other nine VCs, seven went to Englishmen, one to an Irishman, and one to a Swiss. Of the four DCMs awarded, two went to Englishmen, one to a Scot, and one to an Irishman.
For some reason I missed Private John Williams (who was born in Wales of Irish parents) off my list when I counted up the number of VC winners.

Oops! Sorry!

IMPORTANT CONFERENCE OF WARGAMERS ANNOUNCEMENT

Since I got back from COW2016 I seem to have been up to my neck in bookings for COW2017 ... so much so that I have received 38 bookings! This means that any further bookings are going to have to share a room with one of the existing attendees or attend as a non-residential attendee.

In all the years in which I have been involved with running COW, I have never had all the single rooms booked within a week of the end of the previous conference. This has just never happened before, and it leaves me with a massive dilemma. I don't want to turn bookings down, but I know that most people are unwilling to share a room.

This is an unprecedented situation, and one that I am going to have to try to find a solution to very, very quickly.

4 comments:

  1. Well that's a bit desperate. I was waiting until the PayPal option for next year came up to do it all in one go.

    Perhaps Knuston know of a B&B nearby which could offer some sort of discounted rate?

    Cheers

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rumblestrip (Andrew),

      As you can guess, the deluge of bookings rather took me by surprise, and I haven't had the opportunity to update the PayPal payment buttons as yet.

      I am in discussions with Knuston Hall about alternative accommodation, and they have indicated that they may be in a position to accommodate a certain number of tents for those who don't mind camping. As to what local B&Bs are available ... well I will see what I can find out and pass on the results of my researches.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete
    2. Ooh tents!!! Good idea. I do tents. Did Iceland in minus 2 at night.

      Andrew

      Delete
    3. Rumblestrip (Andrew),

      Knuston Hall have confirmed that they will accept bookings from people who are willing to camp, and the cost will be the same as normal non-residential attendees.

      Camping in Iceland at minus 2! You must love camping to do that!

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.