Pages

Thursday 9 February 2017

1944: The Final Defence

When I bought this DVD I had expected that it would be a fictional account of the 1944 Russian attack on Finland and in particular the Battle of Tali-Ihantala. What I had actually bought was something somewhat different; it was a drama-documentary about the fighting from a Finnish perspective.


The film has been heavily criticised in some quarters, and one reviewer described it as being a poorly made, low-budget film of the sort that you might expect a re-enactment group to produce. In my opinion it was not. It tells the narrative of events from a purely Finnish point of view, and does it using a number of vignettes that are based on real events. Considerable use has been made of actual vehicles used by both sides (the exception being a KV-1 that has been mocked up on what looks like a T-54 or T-55 chassis), and the uniforms seemed to look very authentic.




I certainly feel that this DVD was well worth watching, and at a price of less than £5.00 I don't feel that I have been sold something that was not worth what I paid.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. Where has the film being getting flak?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Conrad Kinch,

      Have a look at some of the reviews on IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0378848/reviews?ref_=tt_urv). Several are quite critical ... yet once I had realised that it was a drama-documentary and not a fictional depiction of events, I felt that it quite good.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.