Pages

Sunday 26 February 2017

Miniature Wargames Issue 407

The February issue of MINIATURE WARGAMES magazine was delivered several days ago, and I have managed to read it thoroughly before writing this review.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Welcome (i.e. the editorial) by John Treadaway
  • Forward observer
  • Send three and fourpence: Who will rid me of this turbulent priest? (Part Two of 'The March on Canterbury') by Conrad Kinch
  • Wargaming my way: by Colin Ashton
  • Mad Dogs and Englishmen: Indian Mutiny skirmish rules (Part One) by Jon Sutherland
  • Firefight: Simple rules for small actions in the modern age (Part Two) by Stephen Jones
  • Darker Horizons
    • Fantasy Facts
    • From Cradle to Frostgrave: by John Treadaway
    • From the 4Ground up: Customising MDF building for SF games (Part One) by Roger Dixon
  • Bloody Big Borodino: How to play a big Napoleonic game by adapting the 'Blood Big Battles' rules by Richard Morrill
  • Recce
  • Yes Minster: The continuing tales of a wargames widow by Diane Sutherland
  • Club Spotlight: Crisis? What Crisis ...: The Tin Soldiers of Antwerp Wargame Club by Willie Bogaerts
  • Club Directory
At first glance I thought that I was going to feel a little let down by this issue ... but as began to read it I discovered there was a lot in it that was of interest to me. Of particular interest were:
  • The three scenarios in Conrad Kinch's Send three and fourpence article that all looked eminently playable and very suitable for either re-fighting using my own MEMOIR '44 stuff or even my own PORTABLE WARGAME rules.
  • Jon Sutherland's Mad Dogs and Englishmen reminded me that although I think of myself as a Colonial wargamer, I have neglected to give serious thought to fighting Colonial battles in the Asian sub-continent ... and that I ought to do something to remedy that in the not too distant future.
  • Roger Dixon's From the 4Ground up article about customising MDF buildings. (I don't own any MDF buildings as yet, but this article made me realise that I really ought to think about buying some.)
  • The bulk of Bloody Big Borodino by Richard Morrill might refer to a set of rules that I neither own nor have used, but the scenario notes and map will no doubt prove useful to me once I have renovated, varnished, and based my small Napoleonic Russian Army.
The magazine also included a guide to HAMMERHEAD 2017, which will be taking place on 4th March at the Newark Showground.


Whilst I will not be going to this particular show, the fact that the guide was included with but not part of this issue is something that I applaud. I really don't like show guides that are stapled into the centre of a magazine, and I hope that this example will be followed by other shows and magazines in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.