Pages

Friday 9 February 2018

Miniature Wargames Issue 419

The latest issue of Miniature Wargames arrived a couple of days ago, and I have been reading it with interest.


The articles included in this issue are:
  • Welcome (i.e. the editorial) by John Treadaway
  • Forward observer
  • Send three and fourpence: Wargames by email – A tale of three games by Conrad Kinch
  • Hell by daylight: 20th Century skirmish rules: Part 2 by Jim Webster
  • The first action in Zululand: A scenario for use with Victorian Steel or Black Powder by Dave Tuck, with photographs by Malcolm Johnston
  • Portable Kriegsspiel: Turning the Portable Wargame into a whole different thing by Arthur Harman, with photographs by Bob Cordery(!)
  • Forks of the Ohio 1758: A conundrum to contemplate by Jon Sutherland, with photographs by Diane Sutherland
  • Darker Horizons
    • Zombski: Planning a game for Hammerhead 2018 by Dave Tuck, with photographs by Malcolm Johnston
    • Fantasy Facts
  • The Victorio Campaign: 1870-1886: Part One: Apaches and Buffalo Soldiers by Robert Watt, with photographs by the author and Kevin Dallimore
  • Recce
  • Redoubt Regrets: The continuing tales of a wargames widow by Diane Sutherland
  • Lakeside property: Scratch-building lakes by John Treadaway
  • Club Directory
So what did I particularly enjoy in this issue?

Well other than the obvious (i.e. Arthur Harman's Portable Kriegsspiel article, for which I supplied the photographs!), I enjoyed the second part of Jim Webster's Hell by daylight and Dave Tuck's The first action in Zululand. As usual Send three and fourpence by Conrad Kinch was well worth reading, as was Diane Sutherland's Redoubt Regrets.

In my opinion the last two issues have been particularly good, and it seems as if the editor has prevailed upon the publishers to allow him to produce a first-class wargame magazine.

I was amazed at how good my photographs looked when I saw them in this issue. I wish that I could claim that it was all down to my skill, but in truth John Treadaway must have done a lot of photo-manipulation to remove the shadows etc., caused by sunlight coming through the window blinds, and turn my humble efforts into something much, much better.

2 comments:

  1. I liked the Kriegsspiel article as well, but was very confused by the photographs taken from 3 different angles. I would have preferred a consistent viewing point, for side1, side2 and umpire. But it's a matter of preference, I guess ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phil Dutre,

      Arthur and I tried to do what you suggest, but I'm not sure that all the photographs made it into the magazine ... probably due to their quality.

      All the best,

      Bob

      Delete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Please note that any comments that are spam or contain phishing messages or that come from Google Accounts that are 'Unknown' will be deleted.